Sunday, August 2, 2020

The Magic Kingdom Project: 58 Films in 58 Days

I'm not exaggerating when I say I have been a fan of Disney all my life. One of my earliest memories is my dad taking me to the cinema when I was nearly THREE and seeing Aladdin. And I loved it. Another memory is watching Sleeping Beauty frequently with my grandmother and us both having very animated (no pun intended) arguments over the names and colours of the fairies. Plus watching Disney films at my grandparents place was the only access I had to them for a time, because it wasn't until I was seven or eight that my mother finally bought a VCR and I could rent films from the video shop at my leisure. 

Remember video libraries? Remember when they existed? And remember when VHS's existed?? "sigh" those were the days...

And I continue to watch Disney movies to this day, when I'm 30 years old, just as much as I did when I was 3 years old. Because Disney just means that much to me. I can quote almost every one of them word for word. Sometime this year I fully intend to get a Disney tattoo on my arm.

But more than being the hopeless fanboy that I am, other reasons for doing this project include my trying to see how much of my fandom is nostalgia, or actual fandom. And trying to look at these films critically, instead of purely as a fan. I also want to see the developments that have occurred with every new film. Every leap in technology, in historical standing and in Disney's historical context.

Interesting to note that when thinking about the earlier films I loved as a child, I was far less aware of their moral/philosophical message since I simply absorbed it without thinking. However, watching new Disney films released when I was older, I was able to better identify and interrogate the morals as presented to me.

So tomorrow, and on weekdays over the next months, I will be putting up a review of every single movie in the animated Disney canon. That is to say, if it's Pixar, or a live action movie with animated scenes, or anything from the pitiful Disney Channel, I will not be writing about it. Yet.

But we'll get to that if and when we get to that. For now, sit back, relax and enjoy the views of the biggest Disney fan on the planet who doesn't work at the actual company.

Let's get ready to RUMBLLLE!!

Add caption

1 comment:

KateC said...

Great Introduction, Marty. Makes me interested in following your journey of critical evaluation.